The most common reason for obtaining a Roadworthy Certificate is during the Sale of a Motor Vehicle. However, VicRoads will require a Roadworthy Certificate for the following:

  • A Vehicle is sold privately within the state of Victoria. In this case, a Roadworthy Certificate is required when filling in the Application For Transfer of Registration.*
  • Re-Registration of an used Unregistered or Previously Registered Vehicle*
  • Transfer of Registration from deceased estate*
  • As required by Defect Notices issued from various enforcement agencies*

* (M1 Motors Pty Ltd) cannot provide any further advice regarding the need for a Roadworthy Certificate. Any such enquires should be directed to VicRoads at 13 11 71 or via Email